About this campspace #s002385
The idea of the camping is certainly not the usual one, this camping is a place where you can really escape the traps of the city and return to live an experience in contact with nature.
A campsite aimed at having a minimal impact on the surrounding environment while maintaining a peaceful and relaxing atmosphere.
There is space in the foodforest for tents.
The bathroom for now is a tent with composttoilet, that treats human solid waste through composting and dehydration processes, obtaining a final product that can be used as an organic soil conditioner in agriculture. The showers water is heated by the sun.
The kitchen is external and consists of a simple stove and sink, equipped with cooking accessories (the refrigerator is not available) and drinking water.
You will camp in a valley with a big biodiversity. Think oranges, lemons, carrob, walnuts, persimmons, loquats, figs, apples, avocadoes and so on. There's a small river where you can cool down.
We're three people living and working together with a permaculture philosofy and lifestyle. We grow a big diversity of organic fruit and vegetables which you can buy fresh on site.
By camping here you can enjoy a lifestyle in close contact with nature. We're very near to some naturereserves called Vendicari, Cava grande and Pantalica. By foot you can visit the ruins of Noto Antica, old watermills and tanneries hidden in a beautiful small canyon.
- Drinking water
- Pets allowed
- Campfire possible
- Picnic table
- Gas (stove) / BBQ
- RV Sanitation
- RV Hookup
- Hot water
- Hot tub/sauna
Things to do in the area
- I can teach you anything I've learned the last couple of years about permaculture in a mediterranean climate. As well dry stone building and the traditional technique of using canes for building a roof. To me, cultural exchange is as well telling stories, sharing experiences and ideas.
- Languages spoken English, Dutch, Italian, French
- Wildlife watching
Your host, Michel
Host is verified by Campspace
I'm a belgian who has moved to Sicily, Italy. Since 2010 on a 5ha plot of land I'm putting back an abandoned farm in working order. Part of it lies next to a river, another part is a plain halfup the hill. Big part of the slope is terraced by dry-stone walls.
The land has never been transformed into a monoculture of species but has been build up logic. Near the river are the trees which are in need of more water like walnuts, citrus, loquats, kaki... also a small vegetable garden is here. Uphill are olives, almonds and carob trees. Scattered around are some apple, apricot, pear, pistachio, pomegranate, myrtle, mulberry etc.
By adding other species like avocado, white sapote, cherimoya, guava,... and experiment with permaculture guilds I am transforming this current situation into a food forest.
More concrete: the walnut guild, alley cropping, mulching, using nitrogen fixing trees, on contour planting...
The goal is to enhance biodiversity, become an educational, demonstrative and working permaculture project (not just words but action), self sufficiency and off grid living.
I grow vegetables for own use and make my own marmalade and dryed fruits.
There are also two old buildings on the land. I already started rebuilding parts of it. By using local material (like cane) and traditional building techniques i want to keep it as ecologic as possible.
We're a selfsuistainable project. So we have some rules to be respected by guests:
- The common spaces (kitchen, bathrooms, etc.) are for the enjoyment of all guests. Please Keep them clean and tidy.
- The camping is a place to rest and disconnect we ask to respect the rest of the other guests
- At certain times of year ther is the risk of fire in the area so no barbecue, candles, etc. are allowed.
- We are committed to self-reliance and sustainability. The water is well and our electricity comes from solar photovoltaic installation. So they are limited resources that we must all take care. We ask our visitors a conscious consumption of these resources. Therefore the use of equipment that have high power consumption is not allowed.
- We reuse the gray water from bathroom and kitchen so it is mandatory to use shampoos, soap, dishwasher and green cleaning products. If our guests do not have them we can sell them.
- The minimum stay in high season is 3 nights
- No pet are allowed without permission.
Start your adventure
Book your sustainable getaway
Up to 95% CO2 reduction if you book a campspace adventure.