Private canyon in Pyrenean Foothills with great amenities!
About this micro camping
This is an ideal venue for a small group. I especially delight in hosting well-organised, autonomous groups whose activity and objectives are positive. I am especially drawn to groups pursuing creative projects: singers and musicians, philosophers, readers, dancers, story tellers, painters, cooks, and so on. But equally you might just be a group of friends who want to spend time living together in a private natural setting of great beauty. Either way we are hoping that you and your group will bring you own creative energy into the canyon. We have a little motto: "Bring Your Magic To Our Magic".
ABOUT THE PLACE
Le Moulin is an old stone watermill located in a canyon on the foothills of the French Pyrenees.
It is surrounded by several acres of private land clothed in woodland and shrubs, both cultivated and wild. This creates a rich bio-diverse environment not equalled for a hundred kilometres. The canyon feels like a private park. It is a calm and healing space, sheltered from the wind, surmounted by cliffs and protected from the the outside world.
FIELD KITCHEN & AMENITIES
Sensitive landscaping has provided flat land for camping and for the construction of a large roofed structure; the Field Kitchen. This is the central living space for those who come to stay here. It has a stone fireplace designed as a gathering point and a practical cooking facility. There is even a wood fired oven – though it takes a bit of practice to master!
There is a fully-equipped camp kitchen within this open-sided building.There is a picnic table for ten, and plenty of line space to dry clothes and there are power sockets for charging mobile phones and computers.
Very near the Field Kitchen is a wooden shower with solar-heated water supply. Beyond that is a small natural rock climbing wall for the adventurous and a large wooden platform on which our Yurt can be set up to provide a circular indoor meeting place. There is ample space in the canyon or under the cover of the Field Kitchen for most activities. Within the Field Kitchen there are books and games, table tennis, and free weights for those with energy to spare and muscles to nurture.
This is a destination campsite with plenty to do for a week:
- On-site -
Off-road biking / motorbiking
Climbing Wall (crash mat, bring your own shoes)
- Off-site -
Climbing our local mountain
Gliding / micro-light (nearby clubs)
Historic Castles (Peyrepertuise, Montsegur)
* The Moulin is a gay-friendly venue.
* Your group will have exclusive use of the entire canyon.
* There is a wide choice of places where tents can be pitched.
* This is a wild natural space, you need to be physically fit and there are dangers to be aware of, for example high cliffs and deep water. You will be briefed on arrival.
* Just for background information: Moulin Summer Camps is not a business. Basically these facilities are offered pro bono and the charges proposed are only intended to ease the running costs: they cover things like land taxes, breakages, extra water consumption, bottled gas, firewood etc. The capital costs of providing the facilities have all been covered voluntarily by the owner Anthony over a number of years. Your presence is the reward for this effort. The aim is to create a virtuous circle !
- Tent on site
- Glamping (e.g.: Yurt, Safari tent, Bubble tent)
- Other (e.g.: treehouse, lodge)
Available yes or no
- Drinking water
- RV Sanitation
- Pets allowed
- RV Hookup
- Picnic table
- Fire/Ring Grill
- Hot water
- Campfire possible
- Gas (stove)
- Extra toilet paper :-)
Things to do in the area
- Wildlife watching
- Horseback riding
- Off Highway Vehicles
- Canoeing / Kayaking
Not suitable for children under 16
Pets are allowed
Smoking is allowed
Parties and events are allowed
- Pet(s) live on property - A dog lives with me and there are horses nearby. Insects, bugs and spiders are included in your stay - at no extra charge.
- WIFI: There is some wifi provided. However you may connect through your own phone to 4G networks, some carriers work better than others.
- Must climb stairs - The Moulin is an outdoor space where mobility is required. Guests must be fit and physically able to move freely in a rural natural environment.
How to reach this micro camping
YOU NEED SOME MEANS OF TRANSPORT.
- The venue is one hour south of Carcassonne, which is well served by train and Ryanair.
- There is a shuttle bus from the airport to Carcassonne and a train service from there to the nearest small town which is 6 kms away. I am happy to come and pick you up from there.
- Toulouse and its airport are 2.5 hours away by road.
- Calais is about 700 miles to the north.
For safety reasons we don't allow vehicles to drive down to the Field Kitchen in the canyon .... so when you arrive we will help you trans-ship all your kit into the back of a small 4x4 utility vehicle and help you unload directly on site. Your car can then be parked in a safe place within easy walking distance. Medium size camper vans (max 2) have their own site with easy access.
Checking in and out